C64 POWER GAME-MOD COMPO
Many dreamed about creating own sequeal of favourite game (mainly sitting by C64 turning screw in datasette and breaking joysticks). Some games shipped with editor built-in, usually allowing to feel like an creator at least for a moment. Unfortunately there was rarely possibility to make self-containing executable out of prepared game so some assebly language knowledge was important. Despite that to this day many amateur sequels/mods appeared, most of them being Boulder Dash with new levels.
To face modded games fan base, we would like to invite you to take part in C64 Power Game Mod Compo. Here are the rules:
- Competition entries can be send up to 30 Aprin 2012.
- To finally judge we need at least 5 works (up to 2 per entrant).
- Game can be prepared with already avaiable generic editor allowing to make entire (like SEUCK, Creations, Game Maker), but those games will score lower. We allow using editors to games already released (eg: Boulder Dash, Kikstart 2, Repton 3, Traz, Mr. Robot, Rad Ramp Racer, Breaker, Breakout Construction Kit, Gotcha)
- The more creative you are the more you score. Overall effort/effect counts.
- On C64 Power site there is forum for participants (you can ask for help).
- There must be visible line of text containing: “C64 POWER GAME-MOD COMPO” in-game if possbile. If not you can add this line in depacker or just add a text screen with that information.
- Beware! Competiton entry must not contain any author related information. We encourage you to sumit two version of game - signed and unsigned. After competition we will publish signed work (you can add some intro there and so on). We want this compo to be not spoiled hence it's DISALLOWED TO REVEAL WHO IS AUTHOR BEFORE RESULTS ARE PRESENTED. In case of clear public information suach a work will be disqualified.
- Executable game should be sent as prg/d64/t64 to raf[m@il]c64power.com .
- Game should come with some docs containing history of making modification. You can do it as a executalbe not on C64 too. You should describe modifications (you don't necessarily need to go deep into tech things, just list them)
- New level set is sufficent to name game modified. Exchanching only sprites or music is not a MOD. Organizers reserved their right to disqualify a game if it's modifications are marginal.
- If you are in trouble we offer help.
- We reserve rights to change rules during competition if there is need to do so.
- There will be independant jury to judge out.
We have some prizes too (there will be probably a bit more of the over time):
- Coupons for buying stuff at C64 Power market
- "Bajty Polskie" Book
- Some original games
if shipping an item aboard would cost more than the item itself (quite likely in case of sending a C64 and so on) we reserve rights to give equivalnt in cash/coupons instead.
Our mission is to encourage fans to creatively continue C64 games. Have fun! But there is also possibility to impove your skills and knowledge about Commodore.
Some modded games you can take as inspiration:
- Żulder Dash/Tropyx
- Traz III/Tropyx
- Giana Sisters Collection/Apidya
- FlaschBier 2007
- “Arno Dash” series (and other Boulder Dash clones)
- Aargh Krakout
- Championship Sprint
Editors/games with built-in editor:
- Activision GameMaker
- Arkanoid Level editor
- Mr. Robot and his Robot Factory
- Boulder Dash Construction Kit
- Kikstart II
- Krakout Construction Kit
- Pinball Construction Set
- Breakout Construction Kit
- Rad Ramp Racer
- Repton 3
- Adventure Construction Set
Ultimately - we encourage to make new games without using existing editors.
Organizers: Raf/Vulture Design and V-12/Tropyx
Media: C64 Power and River’s Edge